Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Rehetorical Question

I'm all about interoperability. It may be because I have this appreiciation for interchangable working parts first pattened by Eli Whitney and one of the reasons why our country is such a rockin' place. The past couple months I have been reading and trying to understand "open source" and the proprietary "evils". Well, I'm here at the UC and I hear OGC, WMS, WFS flying around as part of the GeoWeb. Ok, great. Getting the word out about compatable data is cool. But... I have been also coming to the realization that as cool as "open source" sounds, who is going to make money off of it to grow the standards and formats? I'm thinking like a capitalist pig. If you look at the development of technology in our society, you see that tech becomes a reality to fill a human need. Not a want. And it most often a crisis or last minute thing. Unless, the open source community can develop a need for OGC standards, in the scope of the country or the world, they are going to have slow development cycle and/or a lack of resouces to keep up with some of the proprietary standards that sell because the address a specific need. Please don't hate me. Anyway, if you can convince the guys with the resources (not the U.S. Govenrment) to invest in open source where there is a happy medium between profit, useablity, access, and innovation where they will invest in developers and programmers who can contribute and advance the technology for the common good. Open source could be off in the background. On the other hand, it could very well be WAY out in front of everything. I'm not a psychic, nor do I claim to be an expert. So, don't you all go hatin' on me now. Yet, if organizations can scope their enterprise to be interoperable and work with service/software providers like ESRI, Google, Microsoft, and the Thales Twins, you could have your interoperable utopia. If you can afford it. And who said interoperablity has to be with everyone? I dunno, but I reckon that it is all relative to what an organization's needs are. With that I'm moving on to my next post.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lots of money is to be made in Open Source Software through support development and integration of these projects.

10/05/2005 08:10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home