Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Re-installing Windows: The ArcGIS Cure-All

I know it is a pain in the butt that I never want to do again. Re-install Windows. Yesterday, after weeks of frustration trying to get ArcGIS to install and run properly on a machine, I decided to do a "clean install." I thought it would be easy, but noooooo. Microsoft Update runs at least for 24 hours to download and install all the updates to bring the OS to the most current state. Well, I'm done with the XP re-install, which has cured a lot of my computer's issues. Now it's on to installing ArcGIS. . . . . .Someone wish me good luck.

2 Comments:

Blogger Steve said...

if you can get your hands on ghost or something similar I would do it. Then you can image your disk before you install ESRI stuff. This way if it all goes hokey again you can reimage and then reinstall rather than having to reinstall windows and all the patches

9/19/2006 09:06:00 AM  
Anonymous Allan Doyle said...

Alternatively, VMWare or maybe even Qemu... you can install once, then save clones in any state. They may run a little more slowly but if you factor in your re-install time, it could be a winner.

9/19/2006 04:21:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home