Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Firefox 2.0 and Maps

I just uploaded Firefox 2.o like everyone said I should. So, I go to Google Maps. Looks good. Yahoo Local. Looks good. Local.Live.com. . . WTF? Actually, Local.Live works fine. The toolbars and drop downs seem a little off though. Note to Redmond, check it out. Getting at what I wanted to note about the new features of 2.0 that I though would be of use to 'slippy maps' and neogeographers. Shoot me dead, now. I used buzzwords! They were:

  • Client-side session and persistent storage: New support for storing structured data on the client side, to enable better handling of online transactions and improved performance when dealing with large amounts of data, such as documents and mailboxes. This is based on the WHATWG specification for client-side session and persistent storage.

  • JavaScript 1.7: JavaScript 1.7 is a language update introducing several new features such as generators, iterators, array comprehensions, let expressions, and destructuring assignments. It also includes all the features of JavaScript 1.6.
  • SVG text: Support for the svg:textpath specification enables SVG text to follow a curve or shape.

These three things really stood out to me. Storing data on the client to enhance the performance of some web mapping applications. . . ArcIMS, I'm talking to yoo. Improved JavaScript to do more in the browser. Finally, SVG text. Sure, I know I sound off my rocker, but it's something to get the geo community started with drawing and annotation tools for web maps. So, hopefully some smart people do some great things to advance mapping inside Firefox .

1 Comments:

Anonymous Armin Müller said...

If you want, to test FF 2 with SVG maps then try http://www.mapviewSVG.com

10/30/2006 07:22:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home